You start mindfulness meditation ? or you practice Guided meditation ? You definitely need a meditation cushion also called traditional Zafu. Designed with the famous household linen brand Jamini, it was ethically made in India.
FEATURES OF THE MEDITATION CUSHION:
- 100% cotton meditation zafu, for a natural comfort touch. Yoga product available in two prints.
- Product padded in cotton scraps and recycled cotton. A standard in the world of yoga zafu. This meditation cushion allows a firm posture and you have the possibility to adjust the filling of the cover.
- Dimensions: 35 x 18 cm (standard height) and 1.6 kg. This yoga product benefits from a height designed to raise the hips, have a straight back and a better meditation position.
- Removable and washable cotton outer cover
- Cotton inner cover with zipper to modulate density
- Yoga cushion easy to carry thanks to its handle (will be perfect for a Zen trip!)
- This meditation zafu does not settle down over time
- Made in India in Jaipur and hand printed
WHY DO YOU NEED A ZAFU?
- Your knees do not touch the ground when you are in the lotus position (cross-legged): the lotus position is the basic position for meditating. The cotton meditation cushion allows you to have a raised seat, the back straight which is absolutely necessary and therefore to have your knees on the floor for optimal comfort.
- Do you need a small decorative ottoman in your living room and often eat on the floor? This small ottoman is ideal for having your back straight to eat or work on the floor.
- You practice gentle yoga: You can use your cotton meditation cushion as a yoga brick or a mini bolster: Place your head on the meditation cushion while lying Savasana, or place the zafu on your lower back to stretch the psoas. Adjust the zafu filling as needed!
- Practical for some pilates postures, Yogom zafu is very versatile
- You practice many sports and need to work your mind and therefore start meditating? Zafu and bolster meditation articles can be very useful!
The yoga cushion is therefore an essential product to practice meditation in good conditions, you will need a product such as this quality zafu to perform your meditation over a long period of time, which is essential to return to a state of meditation.
THE ULTRA PRACTICAL REMOVABLE MEDITATION CUSHION!
Thanks to its openable cover (removable) with its zipper system you can wash the cover of your meditation cushion.
Read our article dedicated to yoga accessories to discover all the equipment you may need for your Zen meditation practice.
Yogom yoga products are not organic but we do our best to offer meditation zafus and other eco-friendly items to the Yoga community in France.
Zafu and bolster cushions are very popular items for their great comfort. You can use them to meditate, to rest or to relax after a workout. You will find these items at all prices on the Internet and at the right price on the Yogom online store which offers a fine selection of pillows such as zafu and bolster and this with recycled cotton padding like those of the collection in collaboration with Jamini or buckwheat and wool coating Oeko-tex from the Douceur range. Each item is designed to provide comfortable height and padding to support your body during meditation or rest.
The choice of colors is varied, ranging from neutral tones of virgin wool to patterns inspired by flowers of Indian culture to suit all styles of interior decoration. All our cushions are washable and easy to carry for travel. Zafus are especially popular for their comfort and support for the knees during meditation.
If you are looking for a comfortable cushion for your meditation practice, be sure to check out our entire accessories section of the online store to see the cushion stock and colors available.
The filling of meditation cushions
The filling of meditation cushions is an important element in your choice of yoga accessories. It influences the quality of your meditation and the durability of your product. Meditation cushions usually exist with 3 different types of filling, kapok, buckwheat husk and spelt seed. You will find the characteristics of these materials below but Yogom and Jamini have chosen to move towards a padding composed of cotton scraps and recycled cotton in order to be in a circular economy and upcycling approach, especially since this material has the same technical characteristics as kapok, buckwheat or spelt, namely: Density, modularity, comfort and lightness.
- Kapok : kapok is a vegetable fiber close to cotton, spun to make fabric, it is the traditional product of the meditation cushion. Kapok zafu brings comfort but your meditation cushion will be sparse compared to buckwheat and spelt which can alter its quality over time. In addition, the price of this type of accessories varies greatly and products whose cover is filled with kapok are generally more expensive.
- Spelt: Spelt seed is the ancestor of wheat. The spelt meditation cushion offers a firmer filling than kapok and a stable posture. It will be classified in the intermediate category regarding its firmness.
- Buckwheat husk: Buckwheat is the padding chosen for our wool zafu cushion. The removable buckwheat-filled cushion cover is a standard in the world of meditation. This meditation zafu offers a firm posture thanks to its dense padding. Your yoga cushion will allow you a more stable seat and optimal comfort for meditation. Its high firmness ensures that your yoga cushion will retain its original shape longer for long-lasting comfort (allowing you to stay zen even if your child is playing with it!).
The importance of the shape of your zafu meditation cushion:
In the world of yoga zafus, there are three popular forms of meditation cushion, the traditional round zafu, the half-moon yoga cushion, and the square meditation cushion.
- The traditional meditation zafu (descendant of the zabuton) is the yoga cushion that allows the most suitable posture for meditation. This meditation zafu allows a versatility of uses to perform gentle yoga and some pilates postures. It is a product with a standard design in the world of yoga, it is designed for beginner to experienced use.
- The half-moon meditation cushion (fuzen) is smaller and lower than the yoga zafu, it adapts well to the lotus or half-lotus posture but will be less versatile. This yoga cushion offers a less stable seat than the Yogom meditation zafu and you will probably need to use a zafuton if you want to practice meditation using the halfpipe cushion to maintain comfort.
- The square meditation cushion is less suitable for meditation and yoga than the traditional meditation zafu. It is however suitable for transport, easy to put in a bag, this yoga cushion is to consider if you like travel.
- There are also other meditation accessories such as zafuton (meditation futon) to complement your yoga practice.
Take advantage of free delivery to equip yourself with these yoga and meditation accessory pillows! Fall for the zafu meditation cushion but also for its neighbor the bolster and why not a large carrying bag to take them everywhere with you.
OUR INSPIRATION FOR THE PALLA AND CARMA PATTERNS:
Let’s not travel with the Jamini Indian collection! Indian floral motifs draw their inspiration from the Mughal Empire. The Mughal Empire left its mark on Indian floral motifs. India, a rich and diverse cultural destination, mixing Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim, Persian and Christian influences, is exemplified by the magnificent architectural heritage of the state of Rajasthan. During their reign in India from the late sixteenth century to the late eighteenth century, the Mughal rulers called on local craftsmen to build their mausoleums and mosques. Floral decoration played a key role in the junction between the two civilizations. Flowers in India remain an inexhaustible source of inspiration for artisans who integrate them into their paintings, weaving, sculptures and engravings. The finest collaborative works between the Mughal and Hindu art movements are proof of this, showing the beauty that can be created through mutual respect and shared vision.
ALL ABOUT MAKING THE JAMINI PRODUCT RANGE
Our product range in collaboration with Jamini is made using an ancient printing technique called “wood block printing”. This traditional method in India involves the use of engraved wooden blocks to print patterns on different textiles, such as cushions, quilts, rugs and bags. The founder of the brand, Usha Bora, highlights the local craftsmanship and the authenticity of these products.
The history of woodblock printing goes back millennia. Murals depicting women with patterns have been discovered in Egypt, dating back to 2100 BC, and China also has a long tradition of textile printing. However, India is recognized for its expertise in using natural plant dyes and unique complex patterns.
The art of woodblock printing flourished from the twelfth century in the East and became known in Europe in the sixteenth century thanks to the export of furniture and clothing. In the nineteenth century, with India then under British rule, manual weaving and printing techniques were abandoned in favor of industrial production. However, after India’s independence in 1947, local crafts, including wood block printing, regained their fashionable status in the 60s and 70s, during the hippie wave.
Today, the main woodblock print production center is located in Sanganer, a suburb of Jaipur, Rajasthan. Some workshops are very active in the local market and export.
3 good reasons to start meditating?
Improved mental health: The practice of meditation can help reduce stress, anxiety, and depression by helping to calm the mind and improve emotional regulation.
Increased concentration and mental clarity: Meditating can train the brain to become more focused and function more clearly, which can be beneficial for tasks that require intense concentration.
Improved overall quality of life : Meditation can improve sleep quality, increase personal satisfaction, strengthen interpersonal relationships, and even improve physical performance. By working on yourself through meditation, you can also develop greater compassion for yourself and others.
- Improvement of the general posture of the body by a better position of the back: sitting regularly for several minutes on a meditation cushion allows the body to memorize the right posture, thus reducing the pain of misplacement and feeling better in a comfortable seat.