Aerial Yoga is a discipline that comes to us straight from the United States, which is none other than the clever mixture of the ancestral discipline that is yoga associated with hammocks from the circus.
The principle is to perform postures in a hammock suspended from the ceiling. The body weight being supported by the equipment, it allows to work against gravity and to go further in the stretching.
In this article:
The benefits of this method are multiple:
- The inversion exercises help to decompress the spine, which is crushed and compressed by gravity all day long.
- To come to put itself backwards allows to reverse the process, that releases the tensions in the back, the nape of the neck and the legs.
- You come out with the feeling of having gained centimeters!
- The fact of being suspended, provides an engagement of the muscles more important in order to keep the balance, to chain the positions.
- This allows for a very good strengthening of the muscles, especially the abdominal belt.
- This type of physical exercise improves your sense of balance both in your yoga practice and in your daily life.
- It allows to have fun, to discover and to apprehend yoga in a different and original way.
How is an aerial yoga session constructed?
- This often starts with sitting on the floor and doing a few arm or hand rests in the hammock to get familiar with it.
- Then come the standing positions, which come partially or completely to lean on the hammock, it can be postures of balance (warrior 3, dancer…) or positions of stretching (standing pinch, front lunge…).
- This is followed by postures in the hammock, sitting, or even standing.
- To finish with the inversions, the often favorite part for students.
- The class ends with a relaxation or meditation and sitting in the hammock or on the mat.
What are the prerequisites to practice Aerial Yoga?
This method is open to all, it is not necessary to have already practiced a “classic” yoga before.
Why you should love it:
For the originality, the fun, the fact of finding this joy of child, the pleasure of the inversions, the pleasure of making the swing, to lie down in this equipment and to want to remain there for hours…
Why hate it:
For yoga purists, it is pure infamy not to practice on a mat like the tradition. But you may also hate aerial yoga because when you get to a certain level of practice, you will start to get bruises, not flops, this is due to the contact of the hammock, the rolling of the legs, the pelvis.
To fly safely, the quality and origin of the material must be assured.
In France, there are the brand OYA YOGA brand, a brand
based in Toulouse, France, which is committed to using products/packaging with Zero
Also all orders are shipped from their workshop in Toulouse with the
Colissimo is carbon neutral.
An OYA YOGA product is a minimalist, quality, certified and durable product.
The OYA YOGA hammocks are available in 8 colors, they are certified and approved.
For aerial yoga, the 5-meter hammock is the most suitable for this practice:
A yoga hammock is often hung from the ceiling, using adjustable straps, and
carabiners, the fabric is often 5 meters long and 2.8 meters wide.
Flying yoga has several facets, depending on the discipline (aerial vinyassa, aerial yin or hammock
restorative), the choice of yoga mat can change.
For aerial yin, a practice that is very much on the ground, where the hammock is at knee level, opt for the
For a more dynamic and acrobatic practice where the hammock is at pelvis level, the
best carpet rest of the Performance Range .
Get 10% off with the coupon code: YOGOM10
Where to practice aerial yoga in France?
may offer flying yoga. Otherwise the online version is a good alternative for
start smoothly from home and regardless of location
OYA Live Studio is a concept where several
certified aerial yoga teachers offer courses with several disciplines
aerial (aerial vinyasa, aerial yin, acrobatic hammock ….)