Which yoga mat should I buy to practice Hatha Yoga?
There are many yoga mat options suitable for Hatha Yoga practice. You should choose a mat that is thick enough to provide extra support and stability, yet thin enough to allow you to perform fluid and controlled movements. Foam mats are generally the best choice for Hatha Yoga practice, as they offer a good level of comfort and support. In addition, they are easy to clean and maintain. However you will see it in this article, Yogom strongly advises against the pvc yoga mats and prefers to recommend you yoga mats in recyclable TPE much denser for the same thickness, more anti-skid, odorless, non-toxic and with a more pleasant touch!
What are the specificities of Hatha yoga?
Hatha Yoga is a traditional, complete, static yoga with balance postures and muscular solicitations.
In Hatha Yoga you can hold the postures for several seconds or minutes, unlike Vinyasa Yoga where you tend to hold the postures in a row. To hold the postures, you need to avoid slipping on the mat in order to avoid injury. To do this, you have two options: use your muscles or ask your friend, the mat, to help you not to slip with its non-slip coating. A non-slip mat can therefore help you practice safely and comfortably, especially in the famous head-down dog posture.
Balancing poses like the tree pose require not sinking into a yoga mat that would be too soft. A high density material will help you in this type of posture.
That’s why we can already advise you against the classic PVC mats that slip, stick and sink into. All Yogom rugs are made of dense ecological materials. Moreover, density does not necessarily mean less comfort.
The Yomad yoga mat if you are just starting out or need comfort
The Yomad yoga mat is an ecological yoga mat made from natural materials, environmentally friendly.
Here are its main characteristics:
- Eco-responsibility The Yomad yoga mat is made from thermoplastic elastomer TPE It is recyclable, non-toxic, odorless, light, dense, non-slip and pleasant to the touch. It is a latex-free floor mat.
- Comfort and grip The Yomad yoga mat offers a non-slip surface for a good grip, as well as a thickness of 6 mm for a comfortable support of the joints and particularly of the knees during the practice.
- Elegant design The Yomad yoga mat has a sleek, modern design with patterns to improve the alignment of your body during practice. The hand and foot markers and the center line help you to perform the yoga positions with precision.
- Lightweight and easy to carry The Yomad yoga mat is lightweight and easy to carry, making it a practical choice for travel or outdoor practice.
In summary, the Yomad yoga mat is an eco-friendly choice for yoga practitioners who are looking for a comfortable, non-slip, aesthetically pleasing mat that is easy to carry. Made from natural materials, it is also environmentally friendly and efficient.
The Yomad product line is also perfect for pilates and fitness practices but also for Iyengar which requires staying in the positions for a long time.
The Star Yoga Mat if you rely on your mat and not your muscles not to slip
The Star yoga mat is a high-end mat offered by Yogom. Here are its main characteristics:
- Anti-slip Thanks to its natural rubber surface, the mat offers an excellent grip, even during intense practice or perspiration.
- Comfortable 4 mm or 5 mm thick, the mat offers sufficient cushioning to protect the joints while remaining stable.
- Durable The carpet is made of high quality and resistant materials, which makes it suitable for regular use.
- Ecological The mat is made from natural rubber and is therefore biodegradable and non-toxic. (contains latex)
- Easy to maintain The natural rubber surface is easy to clean with a damp cloth and mild soap.
- Elegant design The carpet is available in several colors, with a clean and minimalist design.
This product is also made for Ashtanga practice which is intense and can make you sweat and Vinyasa which requires smooth transitions between postures and therefore a non-slip surface.
In summary, the Star Yoga Mat is an ideal choice for yoga practitioners looking for a durable, comfortable and eco-friendly mat that offers excellent grip and is easy to maintain.
The Performance Yoga Mat if you are muscular and gird in the postures
The Performance Yoga Mat is a high quality mat offered by Yogom.
Here are its main characteristics:
- Ecological The carpet is made from sustainable and environmentally friendly materials such as cork and natural rubber, making it biodegradable and non-toxic. Contains latex
- Anti-slip coating 1/3 The microfiber surface offers an ultra soft peach skin touch. Its adherence is activated during intense practice or perspiration. If you have dry hands or are looking for an ultra non-slip mat, choose the Star yoga mat or the Yomad. Its rubber base is very adherent to the ground so that you do not slip.
- Comfortable 4 mm thick, the mat offers sufficient comfort to protect the joints while remaining stable. In addition, you can fold it at the knees to double the thickness.
- Easy to transport Easy to roll, making it an ideal choice for yoga practitioners on the go. You can also fold it like a towel.
- Elegant design The carpet is available in several colors, with a clean and modern design.
In summary, the Performance Yoga Mat is an ideal choice for yoga practitioners looking for an eco-friendly, comfortable mat that doesn’t stick when you put your hand on it. It will also be very pleasant to practice on this model if you do Yin Yoga.
The cork yoga mat: the good compromise
- Neither too smooth nor too sticky, with a correct thickness and a high density, this very light yoga mat can be a great compromise for Hatha Yoga practice.
- The cork yoga mat is an environmentally friendly mat made from natural and sustainable materials. It measures 188 cm long, 66 cm wide and 4 mm thick. It is made in Portugal, is 100% biodegradable and certified vegan.
- The surface of the mat is covered with a thin layer of cork, which provides natural adhesion and good resistance to moisture. The underside of the mat is made of recycled rubber, which provides good stability and extra grip on smooth surfaces.
The cork yoga mat is also lightweight and easy to carry because it is super light in weight.
In summary, the cork yoga mat is an eco-friendly and natural option for yoga practitioners who are looking for a natural grip and optimal stability during their sessions.
What are the characteristics of Hatha Yoga?
Hatha Yoga is a form of yoga that focuses on physical and mental practice. Here are some of its key features:
- Postures (Asanas): Hatha Yoga is known for its many physical postures or asanas, which are often held for several breaths. The asanas help to strengthen, stretch and balance the body.
- Breathing (Pranayama): Breathing is an important element of Hatha Yoga. Breathing techniques help to calm the mind, improve blood circulation and stimulate the nervous system.
- Meditation Meditation is also a common practice in Hatha Yoga. It allows you to focus on the present moment and calm your mind.
- Balance between effort and relaxation Hatha Yoga is based on the balance between effort and relaxation. The postures are held for appropriate periods of time, working the muscles and strengthening them, while learning to relax and release tension.
- Center of the practice Hatha Yoga focuses on the development of harmony between the body and the mind, leading to a state of physical and mental well-being.
In summary, Hatha Yoga is a physical and mental practice that focuses on postures, breathing, meditation, balancing effort and relaxation, and developing harmony between body and mind.
What are the criteria for buying a Hatha Yoga mat?
There are many yoga mats available on the market, but to practice Hatha Yoga, it is important to choose a mat that is thick enough to provide comfortable support for your joints and has a good grip to prevent slipping during practice. Here are some features to look for when buying a yoga mat for Hatha Yoga:
- Thickness Choose a mat with a minimum thickness of 5 mm to provide good cushioning and support.
- Adhesion Make sure the mat has good grip to prevent slipping during practice. A high quality natural rubber or PVC mat is often recommended.
- Sustainability Look for a yoga mat that is hard wearing and will last a long time. Higher quality carpets are often more durable.
- Size Choose a mat that is the right size for your practice. Standard rugs are usually 180 x 60 cm, but if you are larger or need extra space for your poses, you can opt for a larger rug. Yogom rugs measure between 180×61 cm and 200×75 cm.
- Eco-responsibility If you are concerned about the environment, look for a yoga mat made from sustainable and environmentally friendly materials.
In summary, when buying a yoga mat for Hatha Yoga, Iyengar or Pilates, choose one that is thick, grippy, durable, the right size and, if possible, eco-friendly. Feel free to read reviews and recommendations from other yoga practitioners to help you make an informed decision. If you practice Ashtanga yoga prefer a very non-slip mat Star, if you do Vinyasa prefer a very smooth Performance mat for fluid transitions without being slowed down, ditto if you do Yin. In any case and no matter what type of practice you have, we do not recommend woven cotton mats because of their poor adherence to the floor and the coating. These cotton yoga mats are more for relaxation or decoration.
If you don’t know which yoga mat to choose, check out our comparative buying guide: here
Yogom mats have prices that vary from 60€ to 129€. Take advantage of the delivery quick with no minimum purchase. Discover also our accessories like the cotton bag to go on a trip or to your yoga class. There is something for every type of discipline and every subject. Many colors are available in all our products.